Definitely not as daunting as the first time!
In my last (and first) journal posting, I set myself some goals for the remainder of 2010 and the current year ahead. Before I go off on one, I'll recap what those goals were:FOR THE REMAINDER OF 2010
-- To complete all WIP character designs for my personal project, Battle Royale, of which there are three: Hawke, Kolo and Isabella/Adrienne (haven't decided on the name just yet). Spending some time focussing on my painting style and bringing it up to a standard with which I am happy.
-- If I achieve the above, then I'd like to try a few speed paintings and explore various painting techniques, brushes and finishes.FIRST HALF 2011
-- Establish myself on DevArt.
-- Focus on character design from Jan through to March, and explore Vehicle and Creature design through April to June.
-- Upload at least 1 deviation per week.
-- Finally get my online portfolio up and running.SECOND HALF OF 2011
-- Kick my book project off, chronicling my attempt to design 1 character per day, running from July 1st 2011 through to June 30th 2012.
-- Achieve a consistent style and natural digital technique.
Okay so, as expected, I have not met my 2010 goals, however on this occasion (and only this occasion) I'm gonna let pride take over and blame it on the holiday season. Too much partying, too much eating, too many hangovers and no drive to actually paint anything. I don't think I picked up my WACOM stylus for night on 3 weeks! Ridiculous, I am (and should be) ashamed!
What I did achieve from the above is, to put it mildly, not a lot:
-- Completed Battle Royale
character design, Hawke.
-- Partially completed Battle Royale
character design, Kolo. Lost a lot of work on this due to not saving 1 hour before a system crash... rookie mistake and I get what I deserve!
-- Several concept development sketches for Battle Royale
character Adrienne (yup, decided on the name). Probably the most proud of this, some real satisfying character development.
-- A couple (okay ONE) character speed painting, that I was in no way happy with.
What I did begin to ponder over the Christmas break though, was whethere I was focussing on the right project. Right now my attentions are on Battle Royale
my beat 'em up project, and the characters involved in that, however in the last couple of days, and after reading :adonhis:'s latest journal entry, chronicling (it's long...!) the rise of LMS: Killbook of a Bounty Hunter
, I've kinda been inspired to re-direct my attention to Bazookaville
, my original graphic-novel-turned-tv-series-turned-video-game-turned-graphic-novel-again project.
My reasons for this being that:
a) This project has the most history to me, having popped into my head 5+ years ago.
b) 80-90% of the characters are already clear in my head, requiring minimal development.
c) With 3 episodes already down on paper in screenplay format, and many more scrawled down in notes, the story is well on its way. So much so that it probably gifts me enough material to be at work on visualising this world for at least the entirety of 2011.
So in the wake of this little revelation I am tempted to, and most likely will, readjust my priorities and goals for the year ahead to resemble something as follows:2011
-- Establish myself on DevArt (still my #1
priority, but can only come to pass by achieving everything else on this list).
-- Still complete the outstanding Battle Royale
character designs: Kolo and Adrienne.
-- Also, outside of artwork, complete a 1st draft for a Battle Royale
pilot episode screenplay.
-- Focus on Bazookaville
for the first half of 2011, varying my work between character, environment, storyboards and vehicle design.
-- Upload at least 1 deviation per fortnight (per week might be pushing it right now).
-- Finally get my online portfolio up and running (by March latest
And I'm spent...!
We'll see how I go from here. Expect a deviation in the next 14 days.